The Green Cave, formerly known as the cave of the Turks, is situated on the southern side of the island of Capri, and is known for the color of the water in its interior that, owing to natural lighting, it changes to green.
Known since the sixteenth century, during which the island was repeatedly subjected to attacks, including the pirate Dragut and the corsair Khayr al-Din, called Barbarossa, who destroyed the castle of the same name, the cave was used as a hideout by the pirates enemies that lurked inside the cavity with their ships to plunder the boats passing by surprise.
The cavity has two openings, called conventionally thresholds (underwater thresholds if submerged); the western one is located four meters below sea level, while the eastern one is at sea level and is seven meters high.
The main feature of the cave is, however, the intense emerald green coloring taken from the sea to its interno.Ciò is due to the light that penetrates the threshold Underwater, the cavity having two openings. The green hue of the water taken inside the cave, however, can vary at different times of day and weather conditions change.
The area of Punta Carena's Lighthouse is located on the west side of the island and is one of the most popular resorts on the island. The area is dominated by a large lighthouse, according to Italy for importance and power of lighting, located on a stretch of coast that is called Punta Carena for its resemblance to the hull of a ship.
The lighthouse has been active since 1867. Its construction started in 1862 and designed by engineers Bourbon.
In the summer months the area of Punta Carena lighthouse is bathed in sunshine from dawn until dusk, and for this reason its terraces are preferred by sunbathers.
The White Grotto is located on Capri Island. It derives its name from white incrustations of calcareous matter upon its sides, and from clusters of white stalactites which hang from the roof and fringe the entrance.
The cave faces east, and is situated near the Punta della Chiavioa. The entry, about 70–80 feet high, leads into upper and lower caves, of which the former is not easily accessible. The lower cave can be entered by boat for a short distance.
Unlike most other caves at the water-level, it is much broader at approximately 6 feet above the water than actually at the surface. The total height is no more than 24 feet.
The upper erosion line is clearly marked near the cave and within it. The upper cave seems to belong to an earlier period.